I realized that I have been concentrating too much on pottery and ceramics. This post will be about visual arts in general, specifically, art appreciation.
Say you are visiting a fine art museum and you see a particularly interesting painting. Is there a way for you to maximize your enjoyment of the piece beyond just the beauty?
I hope that after reading this article you will be able to enjoy art even more.
The basics of art appreciation
Recognizing the choices of the artist is a good start. Why did he choose a certain color, why did he choose this medium, why did he choose this perspective, and why did he choose this type of style perspective.
Aside from all that here are a few thing you should do to learn more about art.
1. Study art appreciation – Hopefully if you are in school there are a few art appreciation classes you can enroll for. If you don’t live near a school, there are art shops and conventions that exists for art.
2. Study the artist’s biography – There are a ton of information about an artist that you can read. Reading about the author actually makes you interpret his or her work differently.
3. Consider the time and place – The history of the piece or the time when the piece was created will also carry a lot of weight when you are interpreting art.
4. Learn about art techniques – If you want to appreciate art even more than you need to learn more about art technique. This way you will be able to feel and have a measure of empathy towards the abilities and struggles of the artist.
5. Ask questions – If the curator is there then you can ask him all about the artwork you are interested in. Curators know a whole lot about the artwork. They even know stories about the art piece that happened in the present.
Why is art appreciation important
When you are into art then leveling up your appreciation is a must. If you are not that into art, consider the knowledge valuable to your education.
It is just delightful to know more about art beyond its color, lines, and symmetry.
It is not pretentious when you really want to know about an art piece.
As long as your interest is genuine then it’s all good. I don’t even care if you just want to impress your cute classmate. I’m all for art education for everyone.
Art appreciation for me is not just about beauty and cultural significance. Art appreciation for me is equivalent to appreciation of life.
When you appreciate art, you appreciate hard work, skill, and dedication. This for me is the meaning of human life. A life where we go beyond our need to survive and actually be courageous enough to live life.
I guess, that’s a bunch of hippie crap for most people. However, you can’t argue that art is the height of human expression that transcends mere existence.